Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Motorcycle Race




Awesome tan lines!!!!

This last weekend our family went to a motorcycle race in Eagle Valley, Nv. Lorin, Jamen and Slate all raced. We left super late on friday night (9:30pm) and it is a 4 hr. drive. It was a crazy long drive! We did do a couple of potty breaks on the side of the road but other than that we didn't stop. I was a bit (REALLY) nervous about Lorin driving that far, that late because he had been working a lot and hadn't really gotten a good nights sleep in awhile. I sat in the middle seat and Dakota sat in the front because I thought I would be asleep in a bout 5 seconds after we left but as it turns out- I was to freaked out about Lorin not being able to drive a straight line that I didn't sleep at all until the very end on the dirt road. We brought a tent and sleeping bags (Thank you Slate for saving the day! He packed a couple of extras which was good because I didn't bring one for Lorin or Jamen) It was S.O C.O.L.D!!!! When we got there it was in the high 30's. YES- that is correct- 30's!!! We were so cold! I didn't plan on it being like that so none of us really had any warm clothes. We hurried so fast and set up the tent and climbed into bed. (Slate even blew up all of the air mattresses!) Lorin, Slate and I slept in the tent. Jamen, Dakota & Tevin all slept in the suburban. The guys had to get up early and go practice. I slept until about 7ish. It was really great! Dakota slept until about 11:30! Can you believe she could do that?


Lorin raced first and it was really fun watching him. It was on a 4 mile track so you could see him pretty often. I like watching him. He is a really good rider. Jamen was next and he was kicking some bootie. There was a giant jump and he was getting some really good air on it. Slate raced the last race of the day and he did so GOOD!!! He was really rockin' it! He was one of the leaders- 2nd place! But then he broke his clutch and couldn't get up this hill. BUMMER! But I think he had a lot of fun riding. It was fun watching him because he was so intent on it. Really focused.

When the race was over we loaded everything up and the boys went and watched a couple more races. I sat in the car and read magazines. It was really great! I got through 4 of my 5,000 magazine pile! After the races were over we were driving away, the road was a barely 2 lane dirt, curvy, huge drop off cliff and we had gone about 1/2 mile when an ambulance came flying towards us. We pulled to the left as far as we could to let them get by. Then Lorin decided to go back and see if they needed any help. But there was no room to turn around. He backed us up that whole 1/2 mile and let me just tell you----- it seemed like about 10 miles! It was so scary! I could totally see the drop off from my seat. Jamen was outside the car giving directions , he kept laughing at me cause he said it looked like I was about to throw up. It turned out that a guy had hurt his back and was OK- it was just precautionary to have the medics come and check him out. I'm glad!

Finally we were on our way. Lorin had told Slate if he brought his fishing gear we would go fishing at a little reservoir up there. The reservoir was really nasty- It was totally full of this long mossy stuff, everywhere. But we unloaded the chairs (Lorin got the hammock out) and just sat and relaxed. Slate, Tevin and I (I made a homemade pole out of a stick) went fishing. Jamen and Dakota started having a doughnut fight. Then they found a water spigot and pretended like they were peeing! AWESOME video of that I must say! It was so great!

We drove onto Caliente to eat. We stopped at this yummy pizza place called Pioneer Pizza. We only ordered 1 large pizza and a calzone. We should've ordered 2 because it was so small. But it was really good and I think Lorin enjoyed the calzone cause it was loaded with garlic! I am sure he was in heaven! We were still a little hungry (the place closed so we couldn't order anything else) so we went to JJ's (a hole in the wall hamburger joint) and ordered ice cream cones. They also had one of my favorite things in this entire world- Piccadilly chips and fry sauce!!! MMMM! It was so delish!

After that it was a really long drive home! My legs start bugging me after we had been driving for awhile and by the time we got home I was so ready to jump out of that car! Everyone was so good about helping to unload! I was really impressed that for the most part there was no whining or hiding. I really appreciated that and I know Lorin did too!

I had forgotten that the next day, the 17th (Sunday) was Devins birthday and I was supposed to bring Frito Salad so I had to go to the store and get the stuff for it. Lorin was such a sweetheart and came with me. I was so not expecting that! He was dead tired and had to work the next day. I felt bad that he came but it was nice to know he was willing to come with me.

I have to say-- all in all it was a really great time. It was fun spending time with each other and having fun and building those ties that bind. I know we need to do this kind of stuff more often. I loved watching the kids interacting and laughing their heads off together (PS- you should see Jamen when he is on a sugar high and so tired he cant even see straight! Lets just say, we all saw his butt!) Good times! Good times!

1 comments:

Catherine Noorda said...

Cute pictures! I love when we get to go to races as a family. We'll have to double next time with our two families. Love you guys!