So on Aug. 9, Slate went riding with Devin out in Boulder City (1 hr away). I didn't think anything about it other than--- that was really nice of Devin to take Slate riding. I had an interview with the Bishop that night at 6:30pm. (I was getting released as YW President) I got a phone call at 6:15 from Devin saying- I think Slate broke his collarbone. Will you call Jameson and see if he can xray it. Crap! Now what do I do? I called Jameson, he said No- he couldn't x-ray it. So I called Lorin- He said to stop by the station and he would check him out. (working as usual when these things happen) But then he said to just take him to the emergency room. Even though we knew they wouldn't be able to do anything for him other than pain meds. What to do? What to do? I went to my interview with the Bishop. Bawled my eyes out. Then went to the hospital. Devin and Slate had just pulled into the parking lot as I got there. (Weirdo's! They had stopped and gotten In-n-Out on the way to the hospital!) I have to say looking back on it- I think it was a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. I was having a really hard time with being released. I knew it was coming but it was still really hard for me when it actually happened. So, Slate being injured made me focus on something else other than my situation. Sorry Slate! But thanks for taking one for the team! I got him all checked in and settled. Centennial Hills Hospital is so good. Every time we have gone there they have been totally professional, courteous and friendly. (Yes, My family has been there a few times!) PS- Lorin did meet us at the hospital! Thanks honey! They took X-rays
Thursday, September 1, 2011
Can you say accident prone- AGAIN!
Nice huh!!!!
They sent him to an Orthopedic Dr. Dr. Craig Tingey. He started off the visit looking at the Xray and said to just to let it heal but that they would do another Xray just to make sure.
Notice the bone had moved. After looking at it. The Dr. said if it was his kid, he would opt for the surgery. Seriously Slate? That kid has broken more parts of his body (not including Lorin) than the rest of our family put together! He was scheduled for surgery on Aug. 16 @ 11 am. It is not really a great feeling knowing your kid has to do something very painful and that there is nothing you can do about it. I wished I could do it for him! He was a trooper though! He had to fast for 8 hrs. (he did get up at 2:45 am to eat his last food for awhile- he chose tortilla chips. Weird, I know!) He did really good while they were prepping him. He was a little freaked out about getting the IV but other than squeezing my hand, (with his hurt arm-- ha ha ha, didn't hurt!) he didn't show any other signs of nervousness. The anesthesiologist also did a shoulder block on him. It was supposed to block all feeling in his arm for 24 hrs. (It lasted about 5ish) but they put a needle into his chest with some wires hooked on it, then they sent electrical pulses into his nerves. It made his arm jump around and he had no control over it. It was kinda creepy. It also made him a bit loopy (the shot they gave him to numb it, not the electrical pulses). He couldn't focus or concentrate. They didn't get him into surgery until 12:30pm. I am sure he was starving! Lorin and I did go have a tasty lunch down in the cafeteria after he had been taken into surgery though. No need for all of us to starve. Right! He got done and this is what happened in surgery----
He now has a 4" plate with 6 screws in it holding his collar bone together. He is really hoping that he will set off the alarms when he tries to get on an airplane! Crazy kid! He has truly been a trooper through this whole thing that's for sure! He has such a high pain tolerance that if he says it is hurting, I know it must be killing him. They only time i saw him really have a hard time or cry was when we were coming back from a fund raiser for this guys family who had died, and Jamen threw a Moon Pie at him in the car and it hit him square on the incision. Jamen felt really bad about it. But that was the only time.
I am only hoping that Slate has had enough broken bones or injuries that he wont be doing any more damage to his body!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Poor Slate! I am glad everything turned out OK. We were waiting in that same waiting room that next Friday with James. No fun. What are you going to do with yourself now that you are not in YWs? We were the most AMAZING YW President ever!
Post a Comment