Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11





9/11/2001
I remember exactly where I was on this day 12 years ago. I was in the front yard on the east side of the driveway pulling weeds. Slate (who was 3) came out and said my friend Vickie had just called and was saying something about an airplane that hit a building, terrorists and stuff. It sounded like a bunch of crazy talk so I sent him back in to get ready for school. He kept trying to tell me but it was making no sense to me. He finally went back inside. I came in a bit later. That's when I learned that Vickie had called with the news of the 2 airplanes that had crashed into the Twin Towers and they had come crashing down killing thousands of people. I remember watching in horrified fascination. Watching it over and over again. It was terrible. I don't think I really understood at the time that our great nation was under attack. I didn't know what that meant. Then the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania and HOPING, HOPING, HOPING that there were survivors. And yet there were none. Then the people on the TV started showing pictures of their loved ones that were missing. Please help. Have you seen.... The many hundreds. I cried and cried. The heartbreak these people had to endure. Even now it wrenches my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I wished I could help or take their pain away. Oh how I wished.

I don't understand, how could someone do this to another person, another human being? Even if you don't agree with their views or beliefs how could this happen? How do people get to the point where it is OK to hurt another and not just another but families too?

A good thing that came out of this horrific act was that for a time our county came together, we helped each other in ways that hadn't happened before. Neighbor helped neighbor but even more so- stranger helped stranger. There were so many heros. Recognized or unseen. And I think there for awhile, we, as a nation called upon God to help us. We as a nation turned to Him. We prayed with all of our hearts. We tried to do our best and worship Him. It was truly amazing.

Yes, I remember. I don't think I'll ever forget. How could I.


0 comments: