Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Update on Slates stubbiness
Today we went to the Dr for Slates finger. I was really nervous to have the bandages come off. I was fascinated and yet repulsed at the same time. He started unwrapping it but had to stop because it had been soaked through and caked with blood that had dried and stuck to his finger. So Slate had to soak it in peroxide and saline til it loosened up enough to finish unwrapping. The Dr explained that when he took the bandage off we would see a spot that had no skin on it. He said that he had made this patch of skin "float" by cutting the anchors but keeping the 2 nerves and the artery connected and then placed this piece over the damaged area. He said the bare spot would grow skin and it would look really good. Slates finger looked disgusting. It was swollen and covered in black crusted blood with little pieces of the stitches sticking up like black hairs. The Dr. was pretty happy with how it looked. He said it was doing nicely. And I must admit, I thought the entire end of his finger was gone. But he was able to save the nail bed which means that eventually Slate will be able to grow a nail and I am guessing that if you didnt know, you wouldnt even hardly be able to tell his finger was injured. It will be a little shorter and maybe a little flatter. But I bet it will heal and look really good. I'm still going to call him shorty though!
Slate is such a trooper. He has been so calm and collected throughout this whole adventure. I would probably have been a stark raving maniac if it had happened to me!
And thanks again to Heavenly Father for all of the tender mercies that happened throughout this whole thing. We were truly blessed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment