Today is my cute Dads birthday. He turned 70 years old! Can you believe that?!!! 70! That seems to be almost ancient to me! He is a pretty amazing man! I am so glad he is my dad! I think he is the best dad I could've ever asked for! I have learned so much from him. Here is a list- that is in no way complete!He is a hard worker. He never took a sick day from his career. Ever. That in and of itself is pretty incredible! But he also was always the first one to go help someone in need. He always stayed the longest, til the very end. He worked hard to support his family. I am sure that was not an easy task with 5 kids and a wife to support on a teachers salary. In fact I really don't know how my parents did it. And he taught us kids how to work also. His philosophy was you work first, if there is time- you play later. He also ALWAYS said to us- If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it again? I hated that saying when I was growing up. H.A.T.E.D it!!!! And yet, I now have it hanging in my kitchen for all to see. We were expected to do all of our chores which was usually a super long list of things to do before we could play. Which in turn taught me responsibility. I remember one time he told me to go clean my room. I was probably about 12ish and thought my dad was pretty dumb. I figured I could shove it all under my bed or in the closet and he would never know. Turns out- Dad wasn't so dumb. It was me. He came in, looked around, went and got a garbage bag and started cleaning. I wasn't allowed to get anything out of the trash. Nothing. And I am sure it was a lot of money that went into that bag. A lot! (I do think I am still traumatized form it though! He threw away my favorite teddy bear from when I was a kid. Rude huh!) It took me 3 times to learn that my dad wasn't messing around. He cleaned it like that 3 stinkin' times! (Or maybe it was just that I didn't have any stuff left!) I am sure he didn't enjoy that anymore than I did. And imagine if you will, a teenager that wants to hang out with friends but has to weed miles and miles of rows of beans or squash or grapes or...... I am sure I wasn't the most pleasant of people to be around to learn those lessons! I also learned his from his example of serving in the Church. I don't think he ever refused a calling or assignment he was given. And I am sure serving at the church farm was not one of his favorite things to do. Yet, he still did them. I also learned honesty from him. Did you know he has never received a speeding ticket in his entire life? Never! I cant say that. And I know he does not ever lie. He will tell you flat out what he thinks. He wont lie for you (Just maybe speaking from when I was a kid and maybe asking him to bend the truth a tiny bit) I have also learned how to be thrifty from him. He can take something broken and make it wonderful again. He is pretty talented. I also gained a love of creating things from him. He is a Master Craftsman. He was a shop teacher for the school district and he could turn a plain old piece of wood into a work of art. But I think the thing that sticks out in my mind as the very most important thing I learned from him was love. Not the huggy kind of love cause my family is definitely not a huggy family but the strong, unconditional kind of love. The first part of this lesson was learned on day we were watching some dumb daytime talk show like Jerry Springer or something like that and the topic was children coming out of the closet and telling their parents. And about half way through it I asked him what he would do if one of us kids came to him and told him that. He just looked at me and said- Well, I would still love them. That has always stuck with me. It was just so matter of fact. And as I said- my dad doesn't lie. I know he would be exactly like that. I have thought about that comment many times throughout my life. Would I be like that? I hope so. I hope so! The second part of this lesson was when I was a bit younger and made some pretty big mistakes in my life. And even though I know he was disappointed in me. He never once judged me or held me in contempt or any of the other million things he could've done to make me feel bad. Never. He just loved me and supported me through it all. And I know without a doubt, My Dad loves me. No matter what I do. He might not like my choices but I know he loves me. He is a pretty great guy. I hope he decides to stick a round for a few more years.
Happy birthday Dad! Love ya!
Sunday, July 15, 2012
My cute Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment