Today we went to visit my cute Grandma and Pa Terry. They live in a nursing home. It made me sad. My Grandpa was walking up and down the hallway when we got there. He didn't know who we were. I gave him a hug and said hello. He told me he was going to go look for a skull garden (a cemetery) Then he kept on going. He didn't know who I was. He was always so full of life and when he saw me he would call me Jack and hug me. He is tiny and shriveled now. He cant hear either. My Grandma was in her room laying on her bed. I gave her a hug and said Hi Grandma how are you? Love you. She just looked at me like I was from outer space. She wouldn't even say a word. It was hard seeing her there, in bed, wearing a diaper, not speaking. I went out in the hallway because I started to cry. I remember her so tall and always busy doing something. Making quilts, sewing me doll clothes, dyeing macaroni to make necklaces, canning cherries. She never sat down as far as I can remember. Except to visit with people when they came to visit. She always made people feel welcome. She ALWAYS had cookies of some sort (Granted they were whole wheat and not that tasty) but she always had some to offer you when you came. It made me sad to see her lying in that bed. I hope I didn't scare her when we came in. I think it might be hard to see people just pop into your room and not know who they are.
It also kind of freaks me out, is that what I have to look forward to if I live to be in my 90's? I don't really think I want to experience that. It looks like it is really crappy.
They sure were the most wonderful grandparents. I miss them. I am so thankful I had them in my life and that they were so good to me and my siblings. They were really great examples. They loved unconditionally, it didn't matter who you were or what your circumstances were or mistakes you had made. They just loved you.
Friday, July 27, 2012
My cute Grandparents
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment