Friday, July 13, 2012

Projects

We are here in Salt Lake and I have been busy doing projects. Actually, my Dad has been busy doing projects. I did a pretty great job standing around and watching. i actually did hand him a few tools here and there. Get me a couple of clamps, could you get me a bottle of water....... That is pretty much what I did today. Here is what my Dad did------ He made the bottom half of a SUPER COOL fire pit. (I will have pictures when it is all done) and I did learn to use a plasma cutter today which was very exciting. It is a machine like a welder but it cuts plate metal like it is butter. It was very scary to use it I think mostly because I had shorts and flip flops on and it sends burning hot sparks flying in every direction for miles around. Yes, yes I did get a few burns. I also learned how to use a scary metal grinder that also shoots sparks and burning hot pieces of metal all over. It was fun learning how to use them though! Also with the Plasma Cutter I learned that it is cutting with electricity and the electricity is pushed by compressed air through the metal and that is how it cuts. No it wont electrocute you if you touch the metal but you will get a rather nice burn just speaking from experience. We (he and Slate) also made 34 stepping stones which means that they cut some form tubing into 2" pieces, mixed the concrete, poured it, settled it into the forms and made them all lovely! I did get the forms ready by picking rhubarb leave and other leaves to make floral patterns in the stones. We also let each of the kids make their own stone. Gaylynn brought a ton of charms and beads they were able to decorate them with. Most kids did their footprints or hand prints. Slate though did a unique one---- he did one of his face. It was kind of dorky. I think it ended up just being an indention where his nose was. Crazy kid! I have been doing stuff at night when the girls are sleeping. I have made a cute pearl and hemp bracelet and some Styrofoam balls covered in paper flowers. They are really cute. I am so glad we have the opportunity to be here doing so many wonderful projects. Thanks Dad for helping (doing) them for me. I love you. And I hope you have back surgery insurance! JK!

0 comments: