Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is coming next week. I soooooo love Thanksgiving. I think I love it because of turkey and pumpkin pie! Those are my 2 favorites! We are going over to Lorins sister, Julia's for the big feast. She is an amazing cook. She is always trying out new recipes and making so much yummy food.

The day starts out that Lorin and all of the kids go to the park and play in the Turkey Bowl (Football with no rules other than in most instances, you can't kill an opposing team member). They play for a couple of hours and then go to 7-11 and get Slurpees. They love it! I must admit,  that I have probably only participated in the Turkey Bowl once or twice when we were first married. What do I do you ask? Well, I get up at 6:00 am and run to the gas station for a copy of the newspaper with all of the Black Friday ads in it. Then I start making whatever my food assignment is. Julia usually wants to do her own turkey for dinner so I usually make one for our family to have leftovers after dinner. And to make super delicious soup with the carcass. I used to battle with Julia to bring a turkey (Some years hers was better, some years (Mostly all of them) JUST KIDDING!!! mine was better). After I get all of that stuff done, I shower and get ready for the day. I call my Dad and siblings to wish them a happy turkey day. Then for the rest of the time everyone is gone, I look at the ads. It is seriously so great! I haven't really found anything the last couple of years that I absolutely needed to go out and buy but we (Darci, Brighton, sometimes Dakota and I) always go. Always. It is just the craziest experience ever. People being crazy. I am a people watcher so it is like the ultimate gotta watch for looneys experience. One time, we saw some people trying to walk out of Wal-mart with cartloads of stuff they didn't pay for. It is just fun. After the shopping, we go out to breakfast somewhere. Then sleep for the rest of the day. Back to Thanksgiving though- everyone usually gets home just in time to go over to Julia's to eat. We get there and dinner is usually an hour or so after the designated time so if you're starving, you better have a few snacks before you come! Dinner is however, soooooo worth waiting for. Julia always does a fantastic job! It is fun to eat and visit with people you don't see very often. After dinner we sit around, clean up and visit some more until the food has settled in our stomachs a bit and there's room for pie. Oh delicious pie! And I must say that Katherine makes the best pie crust ever! I love her crusts! And she makes cranberry pudding which it is disgusting but the caramel sauce she makes to put on it is divine! It could pretty much make poop taste good I bet! After dessert everyone decides what movie we want to go see and we all go see a movie. Some go to the kids movie, some go to other movies. It is just a wonderful relaxing crazy delicious day!

And then we shop......

0 comments: