Saturday, May 19, 2012

The adventure begins

So as you know, Darci and Devin want to start foster parenting again. They got turned down for the twin girls but then yesterday they were called for a little 3 month old baby, his name was Ivin. They said yes only to later that night during the girls dance recital get a call saying- just kidding! You don't get him. Then late late that night (10:30 pm) get another call asking them to come and get him. Darci said yes. She called me and asked if I would go with her to pick him up. Devin was asleep and it is in a pretty scary part of town. If you are white and a girl, you probably shouldn't be there by yourself at 10:00 at night. I was actually pretty excited to go with her. That would mean I got to see the newest addition to our family before anyone else. So she came and picked me up and down we went. The social worker had told her to drive all the way to the back of the parking lot to the building on the right, park in the closest spot to the door- even if that was a police vehicle spot and to hurry and ring the bell and someone would come and let us in. So we pull in and are driving back there and we see this big guy walking back there. Totally freaked me out! Then as we parked I opened the door to get out and there was a sound like a gunshot and a lot of screaming. I seriously thought someone had just died.  (I realized later that we were right next to a baseball field and someone had just cracked the ball. WHO PLAYS BASEBALL AT 11:00 AT NIGHT???) We (I) ran to the door. And there we saw the guy that had been walking. Yes, by this time I was a bit nervous. And it didn't help anything that I had just drank a huge amount of water and was about to pee my pants! When we got in, they wouldn't let me go back with Darci to pick him up. So I waited out in the front office part. I did ask if I could use the bathroom and she said "Yes, it is in the body check room." What the heck is a body check room? After about 10-15 minutes Darci and the social worker came back with Ivin. HE IS CHUBBY!!!! He has some serious rolls going on. I got to snuggle him for a few minutes while they got the car seat adjusted for him. I just sat and stared at him and wondered what he has already been through and seen in his short life to land him in that place. 3 months old, what has that baby already experienced? It just made me sad. He slept all the way home. Darci had to stop at the store and get formula, diapers- you know immediate need stuff. He slept, slept, slept! He is a really cute baby. Welcome Ivin!

0 comments: