Today is a very momentous day! And I don't mean just because my neighbors are moving! I have been working on a project for the past 2 years (OK that's a total lie- I have had this project for the last 2 years, but I haven't been working on it for that long! It is DONE!!!! Finally!!! Weeehaaaa!!!
2 years ago our ward did a pioneer trek. Just us. It was seriously one of the hardest, most amazing torturous, uplifting things I have ever done! It was an overnight trip out towards Glendale. Desert, rolling hills, sand and dirt. Hot- terribly hot. We weren't expecting any water or mud. We got both. We pulled handcarts through a river that was up past our chests. And yes for us short people, it might've been a bit higher. Then through miles of thick, black, sticky mud. We also did this monstrous hill that seemed like it went on for infinity. It was super HARD. But so extremely worth every ounce of anything we put into it!
Back to this project- The cute girl (Laura) who made the trek possible- she was the chair person over it, she made this huge banner for us to walk under as we entered "the Valley" at the end. It had our theme painted on it- Courage to Continue. It was so wonderful to see that and know we were almost to the finish. After the trek was over- I asked her if I could have the banner. She said that I could BORROW it for a bit but that she wanted it back. I asked her if I could bring it back to her in an altered state. She looked at me weird and was like ooookaaaaay, what does that mean? I wanted to make it into a quilt as a surprise for her. (I did ask permission from her husband before I started cutting it up) She has only asked me for it back like 5 times in the past 2 years. It is getting harder and harder to stall!
So the middle of the quilt is the banner and the outside patchwork are pieces of the kids clothing. (We had an activity where the girls made their own trek skirts) There is even 1 piece of bright blue that were my bloomers. I would be excited to have a quilt with someones underwear in it. Wouldn't you!!!! I embroidered all of the names of anyone who had anything to do with the trek on it in different colors. Then I outlined (quilted) the words in red yarn and tied the centers and corners of the patchwork. And let me just tell you- I will not be making another quilt where you have to quilt for a very long time! I made one once years and years ago and swore then that I never would again but this time I really really REALLY mean it! I still need to bind the edges but that will have to wait until next week.
IT IS HUGE!!!!! (It is covering my entire couch!)
I am really excited to give it too her but at the same time- really scared because I didn't really ask her permission to make it into a quilt. I hope she likes it because if not- I will not be excited to undo it. So my plan to give it to her is to wrap it up in cute wrapping paper with a note and doorbell ditch her with it. That way I wont see if she hates it. I hope she likes it. I hope that it brings her some really great memories and that she will know how much I so appreciated all of the hours and hours of work that she put into that wonderful trek.
Now I guess I will have to start dusting the living room again! I think I may be a little scared to go in after those dust bunnies! They are probably about 4-5 months old! YIKES!!!! And I guess there is room for our Home Teachers to sit next time they come....





0 comments:
Post a Comment