Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers Day

Yesterday was Mothers Day. It was a really nice day. I was worried about it because sometimes I look at myself and see all of the dumb things I do and all of the ways I fall short and need improvement. And then to have to go to church and be reminded of all that and I know I shouldn't do this but I do- I compare myself to others and see all of the great things they are doing in their families and I sometimes feel as if I just don't measure up. And then also to think about my mom, that she is no longer here with me. It isn't as painful as it used to be but I still miss her every single day. But what a wonderful woman she was! She taught me so much! But as it turns out, yesterday was a really good day. Juston and Slate made me a really yummy breakfast in bed. Chocolate milk, cinnamon roll pancake, bananas and oranges. It was pretty delicious! The pancakes had really delicious crispy edges. Love that! Then I started waking Tevin up. He was being a little slow getting up but when he remembered it was Mothers Day, he jumped right up and got ready. He was even ready to go early which was nice since he had to be there at 8:40 am to practice singing with the primary kids. We even got to sit on the benches instead of the seats in the overflow. Lorin did call me and apologize because he had to stay late at work for someone. But it was OK. Lorin and the kids also got me their traditional gift- lots and lots of plants. There was also 3 fruit trees included. 2 apple trees and a peach tree. YAY!!! I love that traditional gift. Then at church one of the youth speakers spoke on honoring your mothers. She had a different view that I hadn't ever thought of. She spoke of Christ and how he was the perfect example of honoring your mother. That even though he came to this earth and had so many things he had to take care of, his last act as he was on the cross was still to honor his mother and make sure she would be taken care of after he was gone. It really was beautiful and touched my heart. Then in RS our Bishop spoke and he started out by saying we shouldn't ever compare ourselves to others. That if we could see others "real" lives, we would be so thankful for our own lives. But he didn't focus on that. Instead he changed to the subject of our successes and how we as women find joy in our lives. But I think my favorite part was listening to him honor some of the women in our ward for the things they do- one mom for supporting her son as he has decided to join the military and serve our country. Even though she knew it would be a decision that could possibly take his life. He honored another woman that is pregnant for the second time and has been really sick. He was impressed with her because she did it willingly, knowing she would be so sick and yet still willing to go through with it. And others. It was just beautiful to hear but even more to see the emotions on their faces as their bishop spoke of his admiration of them. They truly knew he loves and admires them. He is a pretty awesome guy! Then after church, I got to take a nap. It was pretty wonderful! Then Madeline and Hadley came over and came running into my room. Each of them had a beautiful bouquet of flowers they gave me with a big hug and kiss. Madeline also gave me some super delicious chocolate covered caramels. She was pretty excited to open it and eat them. She is so cute! LOVE THEM!!! Jackson also gave me a cute card with his footprints on it made into a heart. Love it! Then it was dinner time. And I didn't even have to cook it. I did try and make stupid Rhodes rolls though. They turned out to be about 1/2" tall and were not that lovely. For dinner Lorin made- Steak, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and Cesar salad. It was really tasty! Juston made some yummy peanut butter cheesecake brownies and Devin brought stuff for banana splits. Devins mom Alisa and her twins came for dinner also. It was nice to see them. And to top it off. Lorin cleaned it all up. I didn't even load one dish into the dishwasher! But the best thing of all was that Slate and Tevin didn't fight at all. At least not when I was around. AWESOME!!!!
It was a really nice day!

0 comments: